Engagement sessions are usually the first time you work with your photographer and most likely had professional photos taken with your fiancé. It's a super exciting time but also it can leave you feeling overwhelmed or nervous about what to expect or wear. This is completely normal so don't fret, this post is here to make it an easier process.
Engagement's are one of my favorite things about being a wedding photographer because its an opportunity for me to get to know the couple (you) and have a fun and relaxing day together. (While also taking some photos.)
Since one of the most popular questions I get during the process before the session is "what should we wear." I've come up with some tips that can help you decide on what to wear to your engagement.
Here are Some Tips on What to Wear
1. Make sure you are both comfortable: In order to be your best for the engagement session make sure the two of you are wearing outfits that you can move in, sit, walk. We move a lot in an engagement session and if you are not comfortable then it will likely show up on camera.
2. Choose clothes that feel like you: If you two love to dress up or more casual then pick the pieces that are authentically you. Wear your favorite outfit or color but the more you feel like yourself then the more comfortable you'll feel during the shoot.
3. Pick an outfit that moves well: Dresses that flow are captured so beautifully on camera so that is always a great option.
4. Dress for the season: Each season has beautiful colors so embrace them with your style. If you are having a fall engagement, embrace the fall colors and dress up with scarfs and warm layers. If it's freezing outside, wearing shorts and a tank top might not be the best option.
5. Compliment each others outfits: The two of you don't need to match but make sure you're on the same page outfit wise. If you are wearing a beautiful, elegant gown but your fiance is in shorts and flip flops, that might not be the best pairing.
6. Dress for your surroundings: If you decide to shoot outdoors with a gorgeous landscape, consider clothes with more natural colors to compliment the surroundings. If you decide to have it in an urban area think of more bolder colors or an edgier style.
A Couple More Tips:
-Go Fancy! This is such a big moment in your lives so go big! Pull out all the stops and get some gorgeous outfits. Asos and Lulu's always has a variety of outfits and even check out Rent the Runway to rent some beautiful dresses. You get two outfits so one can be fancy and one can be more casual.
-Don't hesitate to send ideas for your outfits to your photographer. I love when my couples involve me the process so we can make the shoot the best it can possibility be!
- It's always a great idea to have your makeup and hair trial on the day of the engagement. A professional will know what photographs best and how to make you look perfect for your session that you will be looking at for years to come.
-Don't forget to accessorize! Beautiful jewelry and layers will help bring your outfits to the next level.
-Think of incorporating flowers into the shoot. Contact your florist for your wedding and see if they could make a bouquet for your session!
- Have a great time! This is an exciting time for the two of you and great experience to remember and look back on your journey of creating a beautiful life together.
Check out my Pinterest board for more engagement inspiration and photo ready outfits by clicking the link below.
For more tips on your wedding day check out some of my other posts below: